Team Chef Bram Lippens has been cooking up a storm
We enlisted the help of our team chef Bram Lippens to get us through the colder months with a warming winter meal. Perfect if you’re in the chilly northern hemisphere!
Vegetarian Sweet Potato Stew (Serves 4-5)
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 onion (Bram prefers red onion)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 carrot
- 4 cloves of garlic
- a few handfuls of spinach
- 50g tomato purée
- 400g chopped tomatoes (from a can)
- 400ml coconut milk
- 400g lentils
- 400g cooked chickpeas (drained)
- 300g brown rice
- 2 tablespoons oil (e.g. olive oil, coconut oil)
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- spices to taste: turmeric, cumin, chili powder or chilli flakes
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into cubes. Parboil them until they are al dente.
- Chop the bell pepper, carrot, onion and garlic into pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large pan or pot. Sauté the onion, garlic and herbs. Then add the tomato purée and stir well.
- Add the coconut milk and the diced tomatoes, followed by the chopped bell pepper and carrot, the lentils and the sweet potato pieces.
- Bring the stew to a boil then lower the heat and let it simmer for another half hour.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice.
- At the end add the chickpeas and apple cider vinegar. Stir well and serve the stew with rice and a few handfuls of spinach leaves, or other fresh herbs as you like.
Note: You can add chicken if you want to, but it’s delicious and nutritious without meat.